Thursday, April 21, 2011

90 Years Young

Today, April 21st, 2011 is my maternal grandmother's 90th birthday.

90 years.  Can you possibly imagine all of the changes that have transpired during her lifetime?  

There were two World Wars, the US put a man on the moon, then the Vietnam War took hold of her homeland and forced her to flee to America, saw her daughter get married, had grandchildren (my little sister & myself), saw her grandchildren graduate from college.  All of this occurred while the television was being invented, computers were being developed, cellphones were propagating, and finally there was the rise of the Internet.  I am glossing over so many other developments in the world at large, too.

So what does it mean to witness all of that in a lifetime?  What makes life worth living?  I asked her this earlier today when I phoned her to wish her a happy birthday.  Her response was simple: family and how proud she was of all of us.

I love you, grandma.  I've known you all my life and with each passing day that I get to spend with you, I treasure.

 

Posted via email by David Dat Nguyen

No comments:

Post a Comment